Friday, December 15, 2006

What happened on December 15th?

Red Lanterns



I don't rant very often, but today just seems to be the day that I need to let go on a wide range of subjects.

1) Justice Cohan has decided (she can because she is the administrator) to ban a Christmas Tree from the front lobby of the Jarvis Street Courthouse.
Hey I know sometimes Christmas can be a over powering season for people of other faiths. Yes we are celebrating a religious event, yes it gets shoved down their throats with Christmas TV shows (my favourite it still "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby), with stores decked out with Christmas decorations, Christmas music and Christmas Trees everywhere you turn . Yes it is overpowering, but this is a country where over 70% of the population is Christian. That means that over 50% of the work population at that courthouse or going to that Courthouse is going to be celebrating Christmas. Why shouldn't we celebrate a important event, hell most people don't even go to church on Christmas Eve. So you can't even call it a religious holiday, it more about the emotional symbol then religion, people are just nicer at Christmas.
Look I don't complain about the Hanukkah menorah at Downsview Park, I don't complain about one of my neighbours putting up lights for Diwali. Everyone has a right to celebrate a festival that is important to them. On the 27th we are going to a Christmas dinner party hosted by a Jewish couple the attendees are Muslim/Catholic couple, a Catholic/Anglican couple and us Catholic/Presbyterian(Anglican/agnostic - ME!). Everyone at this time of year needs to celebrate a Festival of Lights.

2) Another creature has possibly disappeared forever. The Yangtze River Dolphin has been pronounced extinct. They think there may be a few left but not enough for a sustainable population. This is just sad.

3) Some asshole finally admits to killing a baby he was babysitting, 10 years after he did it. Get this he being charged as minor because he committed the crime when he was a juvenile. WTF? Sentencing is to be some time in the early spring, does this mean the guy will only get a few years in jail for murder? What is wrong with our justice system when a murder or rapist only serves a couple of years. This wrong. I don't agree with the death penalty, but I do agree with harsh punishment for crimes. I lean to the left in my politics, but I think our country has gone to far in prisoner rights.

4) Why are we still in Afghanistan .. do they as a people really want us there. 44 Canadians have died there, just don't let their deaths be in vain!

5) Some idiot is killing prostitutes in Ipswich, England .. It's great that the community and the police force are moving so quickly on this .. Here in Canada the RCMP got Pickton, but what is happening with the multiple murders in Edmonton?.

On a happier note, Hockey Canada has released the name of this years World Junior team .. great Christmas hockey.

I just want it to snow.

White Christmas - Irving Berlin 1942

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
Just like the ones I used to know
Where the treetops glisten
and children listen
To hear sleigh bells in the snow.
I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white.
I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
With every Christmas card I write
May your days be merry and bright
And may all your Christmases be white.




I am 79% loser. What about you? Click here to find out!