Tuesday, December 13, 2005

December 14 th.

It's just before midnight of the 13th, and I just spent a few wonderful hours with my family (Minus Eldest, but we aren't talking about or to him right now).

Wife was invited by her rep at Astral Media to "Snow White and the Group of Seven"

snowwhiteposter2005


Ross Petty's traditional (he's been doing it for 10 years at the Elgin Theatre and I think for 11 more at other venues) gift to the city of Toronto of a hysterical Christmas Pantomime

The show stars Canadian talent such as Sean Cullen (of Corky and the Juice Pigs fame) as Guy Endermeer (get it.. Guy In d' Mirror) one of the first jokes of the show and it sets the tone of the night, jeers, laughs and cheers. Ross Petty in drag as Queen Celine Poutine, Alan Frew (of Glass Tiger) as Pops, a plethora of male Canadian Idol Stars making up the Group of Seven. (no not them, a family of singers like the Jackson Five) Elena Juatco (another Canadian Idol Star, great to see them all working) as the innocent and strong voiced Snow White.

Look, I know this is starting to sound like a advertisement for the show, its not, it's just that I really enjoyed it. I had a great time watching my 11 year old, my 6 year old and her friend laugh and join in a great holiday tradition. I had a great time joining in also. Egging my daughters to boo when QCP (Queen Celine Poutine) comes on the stage, and getting them to cheer when Snow White enters the scene. Sharing this with your kids so out weighs going to the movies (you spend about the same amount of money) or renting a bunch of DVD's that your all going to watch at differnet times anyway. Theatre and especially the Christmas Pantomime is a wonderful tradition. If you have the time and the money, (yea I know I got in free) take your family for a wonderful evening of pure and simple laughter. I know we really enjoyed ourselves.

The Globe and Mail theatre critic has a interesting review. (I'm not sure if he liked it or not but he does say some positive things.)

For those of you outside of the GTA or Southern/Central Ontario (I know you hate the selfish arrogance of Southern Ontarians, the world revolves around us, etc etc...),
It seems that Ross Petty will be taking last years show on the road in the fall of 2006. Keep an eye open for it, it worth it.