Tuesday, December 05, 2006

What happened on December 5th?

African Violet Macro
African Violet Macro


I saw a Guitar God last night .. no Heroes update and I forgot to set the VCR to record it .. but it was worth it .. Wife, Eldest and I saw The Who last night at the ACC.

Wow!!! .. can Pete Townshend still play guitar, the guy was incredible (what's even more surprising as he is 61 not that I'm a agist) and Roger Daltrey has the most incredible voice. For a guy who claimed to be sick at the start of the show he belted/screamed/sang like a twenty year old not a 62 year old. Eldest thought he was trying to be like the screamo bands that he likes, it was kind of cool to tell him that Daltry has always sounded like this. I wish I had photos to share but I'm just to honest that I wouldn't bring my camera with me, but man were the cell phones clicking away last night so there has to be some online at Flickr.

Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders opened for them last night .. they were awesome .. and she is still so hot (Wife can't understand why, but she just is). Eldest really liked them, the thing that bugs me is that in the car everytime a song by the Pretenders comes on he complains (at least now he won't), he also asked me how old they were, had to tell him that Chrissie was older then his mom and me. Eldest (he takes drums lessons and plays percussion in the school band) really got into seeing live drummers and since we were about a 100 feet and to the right of the stage, you really got to see the drummers play. Great seats.

The Who covered over forty years of music, the opening three songs were all pre 1969. They played most of the songs from the new album "Endless Wire" (they covered the mini opera that Townshend had written for this album) (by the way, I really like the album, I was kind of pissed during this part of the show because you could hear a number of assholes calling out for older songs.). I think Townshend can still write a awesome song, take a listen sometime to "A Man in a Purple Dress". They then covered a lot of older material form the 70's and 80's, at the end they did a encore of a melody of songs from Tommy and ended with a soft piece from the new album.

The audience was a mix bag .. I would say at least half were over 50 .. you saw whole families (like us).. when the Who did "Baba O'Riley", all I could think of was "Geriatric Wasteland" I swear there were 80 year old guys rocking out. Great concert and well worth every cent. Though I didn't buy any of the $40 tee shirts.



Baba O'Riley by The Who
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals
I get my back into my livin'
I don't need to fight to prove I'm right
I don't need to be forgiven
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah

Don't cry, don't raise your eye
It's only teenage wasteland...yeah...

Sally take my hand, we'll travel south cross land
Put out the fire, and don't look past my shoulder
The exodus is here, the happy ones are near
Let's get together, before we get much older

Teenage wasteland
It's only teenage wasteland
Teenage wasteland
Oh, yeah
Teenage wasteland
They're all wasted!


My only complaint with the concert was the drunks, there has to be a way to control the drinking at concerts. "Back in our day" you had to sneak you bozze in so you just brought pot. There was a group in the same row as us, ejected even before the Pretenders came on stage, for drunkenness. Here they were clean cut business looking types and they could barely walk. I had to switch seats with Eldest because he was getting uncomfortable sitting beside the guy beside him. The man was probably on his 10th beer before he stopped drinking. I would rather sit beside someone smoking pot than a drunk.

***Addendum Wedneday December 6/06***
Other Toronto Bloggers who attended the Who Concert on the fourth.

Ianism .... CherrySuede .... Behind Brown Eyes .... Lannio's World online