Monday, January 30, 2006

January 30 th.


The first gardening post of 2006.

Not sure what the weather is like where you are but here in Toronto, we are running at around 9 degrees Celsius (that's 48 degrees Fahrenheit) in February (average temp should be between -3 and -12 C) but this is causing my Peony's to grow. They've already broken ground level and are tiny red shoots. I was worried and thought I should put some mulch on them to protect them from the freeze we are support to get in a few days. I went to Angelo's Garden Centre and asked how to protect the shoots. Not to worry, best thing for them is to leave them alone, as the heat created by the mulch would promote growth (which I don't want), that they are very hardy plants that should survive to spring and that what I want to do is keep the cool as it will slow the growth spurt they are having.
Can't wait for gardening to begin, got my first issue of Canadian Gardening