Monday, May 02, 2005

Well they won

In case anyone is interested, the boys won on the weekend. I was proud of them, and told my son that he was part of the victory. That without his participation throughout the year they wouldn't have gotten there.

The only thing is I don't really believe this, He was so caught up in himself this year (being a teen, being bullied, being so unsure of himself etc) that he didn't play very well. So he spent most of the select season sitting on the bench. I kept on trying to get him to work harder so he could get more ice time, I kept on getting angry at the coaches (not saying anything to them though, because I'm a good Canadian hockey father) but nothing seemed to work... so I tried to support him verbally and emotionally. This didn’t work either, other than he finally started to talk about his problems, and we started to get some of it straightened out (like the bulling).

He played well for me in house league, he just didn't want to put out for his select team. I don't make him play, or a least I don't think I do. I just want him to realize that to succeed you have to work for it. It won't fall into your lap. One of the fathers said that this was an unfair message to put out to 13 year olds, but I feel they have to learn it now. I sure as hell didn't learn it in time, and look at me now.

Waste some time ... see how well you know your world geography
http://www.geographyolympics.com/challenge.php